Sunday, September 28, 2008

Lost and Found

I lost Yaks yesterday while at Costco. I had gone to get the kids an ice cream for us to share, so Josh could look at some new frames in peace. Although I asked for two additional cups, I forgot to ask for two additional spoons. I waited in the little line, and tried to just sneak to the front to snag some spoons, but by the time I had my spoons, I had lost my son!

I asked Boo where he had gone, hoping she could share at least the general direction he headed. She replied, "Well...he's just not here." Thanks, Boo.

Is there anything more terrifying for a mother than to lose her child? At first you check all the obvious places he would be (by the tires, the vending machines, flipping through the carpet samples, rummaging in the garbage cans). When the seconds start to tick by, you start to sweat and crazy thoughts of what could happen to him start to flip through your mind like flashcards (times tables...those are the worst).

Roaming the parking lot. Hit by a car. Kidnapped. Back in the kitchen helping the food court people make pizzas!?

You say a quick and desperate pleading prayer, and you just keep looking!

I got Josh on the phone to help in the search, which escalated the panic when with our combined efforts, we still couldn't find him. I was about to alert the Costco authorities and brace myself for the embarrassing, "Attention shoppers. This negligent mother has lost her son. He answers to the name of "Yaks". He's wearing Cars shoes, blue pants, and a gray striped shirt. He may or may not have a pink binkie in his mouth..." Just then, I spotted his little walk, over by the register we had checked out at, several minutes before. Apparently, he hadn't gotten his fill of reorganizing the divider sticks for the conveyor belt, and was making himself busy helping the cashier. I scooped him up, apologized to the cashier, who looked grateful to be rid of his part-time helper by saying, "Oh, there's your mom. Later, dude." then I hugged him really, really tight.

He didn't get what the big deal was! He wasn't crying or panicked or missing his family, or relieved to see me. He was just playing at the Costco check-out. Oh, no wonder I have gray hair!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh man! How scary and upsetting.
I have to be honest...I hate those leashes people hook to their kids...but sometimes I can see their use. Not to say that you are not keeping a good enough eye on him...but just trying to save those gray hairs! Glad you found him happy in the end.

Emily said...

How scary!! I am so glad that it turned out REALLY well!

Amy said...

I'm honestly considering one of those harnesses for this boy! I think they would be just the thing for him (and for me)! That way he can just play in the garbage can while I'm waiting in line for my extra spoons. :)

Dianna said...

Yes, . . . . every mom's nightmare. I'm so glad it turned out happy and safe. When I was about his age I got lost in a store. I was holding $2 in my hand and wandered into another store walking through an automatic door between the two stores. When my mom and dad found me someone had taken my cash - rude, huh?

Peggy said...

For some reason a picture on a friend's blog reminded me of one of your brothers when your family lived in Bay Village, Ohio; I googled "Craig and Martha Hale". Your blog with the picture you posted of your parents on their 37th wedding anniversary popped up! Your dad was our bishop in Ohio and we did things together since we had children the same ages. We lost track of them and wondered where they were and how they are doing... now we know! Would you please tell them hello from Peggy and Tim Huffaker? Thanks!

Amy said...

Wow, speaking of "Lost and Found"! It's nice to meet you, Peggy. I assume Jon and Andy played w/ your kids. I can't wait to call and tell my parents. I'm sure they'll be thrilled to connect with long-lost friends. All the best to you in your recovery!

Cara and Steve said...

I'm so glad you found him... that is one thing about being a parent that I'm not looking forward to. Kids are so funny that way and it's amazing how they get away so quickly. I liked how you included those pictures to tell the story... very creative. P.S.- thanks for all your posts on my blog; I love reading them.