Monday, September 3, 2007

Happy Birthday, Boo!

Dear Boo,

You turned three today. I can still vividly remember the day you were born, the weather, the timeline of events and what you looked like when I first held you. You are as much, if not more of a joy today, as you were when you were brand-new. You are quite the little girl, now. Daddas and I were talking today about how fast you’ve grown up. You're not a baby anymore, that's for sure!

You love to ride bikes, build towers with blocks, read stories and go on "field trips". I love when you say, "Let's roll, dudes!" when we're on our way out the door. You have some athletic talent - you can throw a forceful chest pass and bounce pass, and you know the difference between the two! Look out. You enjoy creating things with play-doh and coloring and cutting paper. I’m glad that you and your brother both like Sesame Street. It’s our favorite, and I attribute it to helping you learn your lowercase letters and counting to 20, which you do almost perfectly, except for skipping 13. It’s unlucky, anyway.

You dress yourself and choose your clothes (usually a striped shirt and denim shorts) and are very likely to “change your mind” and make multiple wardrobe changes throughout the day. I totally understand; sometimes you just aren’t “feeling” that outfit at that moment. Although you don’t really like dress up or dresses in general, you choose pink dresses to wear when Sunday rolls around. You love to sing primary songs– loudly and off-key, and it makes me smile. I'm glad you love music.

Yaks is your best friend. You call him your "buddy". You love to see him first thing in the morning and you are a good helper in finding his binkie or getting him a drink or choosing his clothes for him. Now, if we can just convince you that he’s too big for you to pick up and carry around, and that he really, really, really hates it when you try to partner him in dancing.

You are kind to other kids and willingly share your toys when friends come to play. You love playing with your many aunts, uncles, and cousins. You are active and outgoing, and can make a mess faster than I can say the word. You adore your daddas, and run for the door with a “Hiiiiiiyyy” when you hear the garage door open. I’m grateful for Dad. He wrestles and runs around with you and you love it. He gets you nice and worn out, so you can sleep for 12 hours, as you do every night. Oh, thank you for taking a three hour nap every day. You have no idea how wonderful that is for your mommy. You love to laugh and have made us laugh many times with your sarcasm.

Boo: JB?
JB: No, you don’t get to call me JB. What’s my name?
Boo: Mommy! Hahahahahaha!
JB: Nooooo!
Boo: Daddy!

You are independent and do a great job taking care of yourself. I think your most common phrase is, “I do it by my-say-olf.” And you usually can and do. Just remember to let mom and dad cut your hair, okay? We’re still working on potty training, but your mom knows that you’ll do it when you’re good and ready. But, we do appreciate that in the meantime, you bring me both diapers and wipes when you are “ready” to be changed.

The kids in the neighborhood are heading off to kindergarten and pre-school this year, but I’m glad you aren’t quite old enough for those just yet. I really enjoy having you at home with us. I’m sure I’ll feel differently next year, but you are just growing up so fast! I know it will be a blink of an eye and you’ll be trotting off to school all by your “say-olf”. We love you, Boo. Happy Birthday!


2 comments:

Heidi Totten said...

I know exactly how you feel! When Goose turned 3 last year I just wasn't ready for him to be gone yet. But today - so ready for him to go to preschool even though I cried. He'll turn 4 tomorrow. Happy Birthday, Boo!!!

Shelese said...

What a sweet little girl you have! Happy Birthday Boo!