Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Dry as the Sahara Desert

We used to have the same Sunday dinner almost every week growing up: pot roast, potatoes, carrots, some sort of Jell-O salad, green salad and rolls. It was heavenly to come home from church to the delicious smell of beef and seasonings. As years went by, my mom simplified things and we started the tradition of having spaghetti, corn, salad, and french bread instead, but I've always liked that yummy smell of pot roast on Sundays.

I tried again this past Sabbath to make a mouth-watering, tender, moist, juicy, succulent pot roast for dinner in my crock pot and failed...miserably. I've used a variety of recipes with no success. I've tried different cuts of meat, an array of seasonings, varying temperatures and I still can't manage to get a delicious pot roast that doesn't require a gallon of water to wash it down, due to the dryness and toughness of the meat. Honestly, you should have SEEN this meat when I cut it! I thought it would blow away in the wind it was so dry! JB said it tasted just fine (champ), but I couldn't even coerce myself into eating more than one slice of it. The kids made valiant attempts, also, but in the end, I fed them cheese and bread for dinner.

Does anyone have a recipe for pot roast that works? The version with Cream of Mushroom is a bit too saucy for me. What cut of meat do you buy? How long and how do you cook it? Many thanks.

P.S. Thanks to Martha Stewart for loaning me her pot roast picture.

6 comments:

Heidi Totten said...

I had the same problem until I got a meat thermometer and stuck to it! Also, Harman's has something called a spoon roast that is wrapped in paper. You put it in your crock pot still wrapped up and it's pre-seasoned and it is SO good.

Amy said...

Meat thermometer...I've never owned one! I think you're onto something. I also love the spoon roast idea. Both worth a try.

laurenthequeen said...

I have two recipes that usually work, although once in a while they do disappoint. I don't know why. The first is easiest. Go to the sauces section of your grocery store and by a McCormick Crock Pot Pot Roast seasoning packet and follow the directions on the back. The second is a brisket recipe. In a bowl combine 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 can jellied cranberry sauce, 1 packet onion soup mix. Place brisket in crock pot and cover with sauce. Cook on low for 8 hours. It sounds a little odd, but is SSSSOOOOO yummy.

Shelese said...

I used to have the same problem... then I ignored the directions on the recipes that say to cook for 4 or 6 hours... just cook it all day baby!! (8 hours at the least) then it'll melt in your mouth :)

(knock on wood, have you tried that already?)

Shelese said...

oh and also my mom sears her roasts before putting it in the crockpot all day and that keeps all the juices in.

from dictionary- sear: to cook the surface of quickly with intense heat (sear a steak) :)

Amy said...

Shelese, I caught Rachel Ray's show yesterday and she did pot roast (go figure) and she seared hers as well! I didn't know why searing made a difference, though. Thanks!

Lauren, you've made me that brisket before - it was HEAVENLY. Thanks for the recipe/tips!