Thursday, July 1, 2010

Rhyme Time

Have you ever seen the movie Private Eyes (1980)? It was a favorite of ours growing up. Starring Don Knotts and Tim Conway, these two dim-witted investigators are out to solve a murder, Sherlock Holmes-style. They keep getting clues from the killer in the form of rhyming couplets:


In this house, it's hard to survive.
Some'll be dead, who are now alive.

Mr. Uwatsum is gone, 'cause he knew too much.

Bye for now, but rest assured we'll keep in constant contact with each other.



We've got a couple of favorite games we play when we are in the car or walking somewhere. They are called, "I'm thinking of something" and "Does that rhyme?" I know, really clever names, right? In case you are unfamiliar with them, I'll explain.

"I'm Thinking of Something" - One player thinks of something and gives us the starting letter. The rest of the players try to guess what the player is thinking of. After approximately three guesses, one of the small players usually says (exasperatingly), "Give us a clue." A clue is issued, and the answer is given. Turns are taken around, Diddles usually takes a turn as well (with the help of a sibling), and her clues are usually "bottle, crib, blanket, etc".



Yaks will inevitably start off thinking one thing, and then end up thinking of something else. This wouldn't be a big deal, but he never tells us that he's switched letters! Here's an example from last night's walk:



Yaks: "I'm finking of somefing dat starts wiff duh letter....(sigh) G."
Amy & Boo: "Grapes? Goat? Gate? "
Boo: "Yaks, give us a clue."
Yaks: "It's someone who comes home from work."
Amy: "Grandpa?" (Grandpa starts with a G)
Boo: "Daddy?"
Yaks: "Yes, Daddy!"
Boo: "Yaks!? Daddy doesn't start with a G, it starts with a D! You're a Linselot."



Oh, gosh.

"Does That Rhyme" - This game requires a bit more work on my part. The kids barrage me with word pairs, and I give them a "yes" or a "no" as to whether or not they rhyme. It's exhausting. Boo's almost got it down, but she gives a lot of nonsense Dr.Seuss words.

Boo: "Does Fox and Mox rhyme?"
Amy: "Uh...Yes."

Yaks occassionally gets one right, but more often than not, he thinks of a word, then looks at his surroundings and then just says whatever word comes to mind. Here are some classic examples:


Fox and Cat?
Mot and Dog?
Mutt and Soak? (love it)
Block and Slam? (errrr)
Man and Cat?

Then he sometimes takes some time and thoughtfully will say, "Mom? What about...Swim and Swimming Pool. Do they rhyme?" Too cute.

I said when I died, that I'd come back.
If you believe in ghosts, you're on the right track.
I'm out of the grave, and roaming the moores.
If you want to be safe, you better lock all the windows and screens.

Good times! Long live games!

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Love the games. Sounds alot like the back seat of our car right now. Meg thinking of funny, clever rhymes. Paige not having any clue what letter makes what sound!

Cute picts of each kid. Fun expressions.

Mrs. Grindstaff said...

I've missed so much on your blog! I wish I had thought of games like "Does that rhyme?" with my kids.

I LOVE the picture of Diddles. So cute!

Dianna said...

Brett and I certainly aren't kids anymore but we play a similar rhyme game. When one of us answers or asks a question we then try and come up with as many words as possible that rhyme with the last word. Example: Brett:"Have you seen my other shoe?" Me: "I don't have a clue. I know you have two. Did Abbey fill it with glue?" You get the idea. When the obvious rhyme combinations are given then it is a competition to come up with the most unusual rhymes: "I think it was taken by Mr. Magoo. Games are great!

Trish and Matt said...

Your pictures lately are amazing. Did you get a new camera? New photo editing skills? Do share your secrets.

Nicole said...

I love those games! We do the I'm thinking of something but with the color instead. The family joke is when we were stuck in traffic one time and all we could see were orange and white construction barrels for what seemed like miles. Carter was little and kept saying, I'm thinking of something orange and white! Every time it was construction barrel! Now when we see them one of us cry the orange and white clue in the car.

Liz said...

Your pictures are so beautiful! Did you get a new camera? The pictures are probably all so great but I am just now realizing it.

Amy said...

Trish and Liz,

We DID get a new camera. It was our Christmas/birthday/mothers&fathers Day gift for the next two years. We've been enjoying learning how to use it and capturing some fun moments.

Catherine said...

Oh my gosh that movie is so funny.