Monday, May 3, 2010

Camping

How do you feel about camping?



I have a love/dislike (hate's a strong word) relationship with camping.

Things I love:

Getting Away From it All
Spending time away from phones, TV, computer, etc.
Having time to talk
Listening to chirping crickets and croaking frogs, and singing birds
Enjoying the "fresh" air
Working together
Excited kids

Thing I dislike:

All the planning, packing, unloading before, and all the unpacking and laundry after.
Unpredictable weather
Breaking camp in the rain
Cranky kids
Not being able to sleep comfortably
Going potty behind a tree

Last week Josh started talking about an early church meeting he had in Spokane on Saturday, and his idea that we should camp Friday night, and then spend the day together. My mind immediately started worrying about all of the things that I think most moms worry about with three little kids: weather, feeding them, keeping them warm, sleeping arrangements and schedules, etc. As the day got closer and closer, the weather wasn't looking good. Rain. Wind. Cold. I thought that surely Josh would reconsider. All day Friday was windy with bursts of showers. No way would we be camping tonight!

But, I've learned that when Josh sets his mind to something, there is little that can deter him. Through the door he came at 5:00pm and said, "Are we ready to go?" You've got to be kidding me! I was obviously in denial and wasn't ready. After a mad scramble, we were packed up and heading to camp on Liberty Lake. The kids were ecstatic! I was chewing on my hair.


Our fearless leader

We pulled in around dusk and Josh quickly set to work. I had to sit in the car with a cranky Diddles (who is teething), and the kids tried to help Josh. It was cold and windy, but fortunately it wasn't raining!


Yaks with his "Scout" flashlight

We snuggled into our sleeping bags and roasted marshmallows on the propane flame (outside the door of the tent), and told stories. It really was fun! We could hear owls hooting and crickets chirping and frogs croaking. The kids were so excited that we were all together in the same room, "in our cozy sleeping bags."

Around 9:30pm, the kids settled down and went to sleep. Our configuration went Boo on the left, Diddles in a nest of a down comforter, me, Yaks on the right, and Josh at our feet. Josh kindly let me use his new, cozy, down sleeping bag and pad, while he used a foam pad and our old sleeping bag.
"Can Diddles sleep right here, next to me?"

Welcome to our tent party! We're open all night!

Once the kids were asleep, I made a trip to the restroom, which was boarded up because it wasn't "Open Season" yet. (sigh) Even before my potty break I felt a little "damp" with the humidity, but I was so tired I just went to bed in what I was wearing that day. I was chilled the whole night, not to mention the sad fact that I had to sit up, half-dressed to nurse Diddles back to sleep approximately four times.


"The Hangover"


I'm sure her cries woke the entire lower camp site! In between feedings, I was readjusting Yaks back into his bag and worrying that they were as cold as I was. I only remember falling asleep once, and during that nap, I dreamed that Josh met another woman while camping and left me for her the next morning! I had to break camp by myself and everything! Awesome.


In reality, morning came early. Diddles awoke for the day around 4:30am.


"I slept great, how did you do?"


I woke Josh up at 5:00am, and I think the kids were up at 6:00am. Then it started raining.

We had some hot cider and hot chocolate and powdered sugar donuts for breakfast. Little by little we got all packed up and loaded up into the car. Again, Josh had to do the majority of the work. With a baby it's hard to be much help.


With the breaking of the dawn came the whining of the Boo

We got a nice, hot breakfast at IHOP, and the kids and I wandered around Toys R Us for two hours while Josh was at his meeting, up and down, every aisle. I was too tired to do anything else. Following lunch, I spent two hours at TJ Maxx, and came away with some new pajamas, two pairs of pants, and a couple skirts.

I'm really hoping to learn to be a more skilled camper. I see a lot of potential in it as an activity for our whole family to enjoy together. I know Josh was probably disappointed in my performance this time around. I think it was the first time actually camping with our kids! In my defense, I think my biggest problem this go-round was that I get so little sleep as it is, and then to add an uncomfortable night's sleep to the mix and with the whole nursing thing was well...tough.

This was a good learning experience for me, though. I do feel more prepared for the next time.

1.) Change your clothes before going to bed - even "dry" clothes have moisture that can make you cold. DID not know that.
2.) Wear a hat.
3.) Don't bank on having a great night's sleep.
4.) Bring lots of plastic bags and clean-up towels.
5.) Nursing and camping aren't the best combo.
6.) Avoid setting up or breaking camp in the rain at all costs!

Here's to happy camping (next time)!

13 comments:

Sarah said...

What a trooper!
Bad weather, quick packing, nursing - wow!
Your expressions vs. Liza'a say it all.
But looking back, some of it was fun...and worth attempting again?!?
The kids definately look like they loved it.

The last few times we went camping I had no problems telling Matt to take the tent with the girls and I'd keep myself and my pregnant belly a little more comfortable in the car. Conveniently I locked it and let him deal with the very early risers the next morning. haha. If/when we go again this summer (with babe) I'll likely bundle up into the tent. We'll see how we do...

Sarah said...

oh...and the dream:

maybe it was your subconsious thinking "he can HAVE that camping wife for all I care at this point...let ME sleep!"
;)

Nicole said...

Come now Amy, didn't our years in girls camp together teach you anything! That would be no, unless it was: get a cabin.

Oh we have learned a lot since we have been up here. Because I still have that love hate relationship with camping. But it is slowly becoming more of a love. Just don't tell anyone. the first is wool socks and the adhesive foot warmers stuck to them are a must for me to sleep. As is several hand warmers I put inside a fleece liner that goes into my down bag to sleep in. They act as heaters all night and keep my bag toasty. Another neat thing is a blow up mattress that comes with a battery operated pump. coleman makes one, I think. Cup O noodles makes a great breakfast as well as dinner and the cup doubles for hot chocolate. and you hit the nail on the head with the dry clothes and you can never have too many baby wipes. Happy Camping!

Amy said...

Sarah, definitely worth attempting again, but maybe later in the summer. Yes, the kids had a great time, which really is all that matters! Nicole - I know we did more "camping" when we went to camp than they do now! But yeah, not really the same as the Boy Scouts do.

Holly said...

You are a brave woman! I know plenty of women who would just say no in that situation. Something I've learned is that men don't seem to understand everything that is involved for trips or camping...Greg will say, "I'm ready to go." Because he packed his own bag. "Why does it take you so long to get ready to go?" Well, because I packed my bag, and I made bread and packed our lunches, and did the dishes, and took out the trash, and packed our sleeping bags, did the laundry and made the bed...etc. You shouldn't feel bad for not going above and beyond for that trip because I think it's an accomplishment that you made it with a nursing baby and young children. Way ta go!

Dianna said...

Oh, camping . . . . the only thing I can say is that it could have been worse. If Diddles was a bottle baby you would have had to fix a bottle and warm it up.

Laurie said...

My kids keep begging to go camping this summer. I don't know what is worse camping in my last trimester or bringing a baby. I loathe camping and always have. I trying the compromise of ok as long as we camp in a cabin with a bed, bathroom and kitchen...Tori and Jared rolled their eyes.

Kimm said...

You are amazing!! and SO beautiful!

Stephanie said...

You are a better woman than I am. I like camping, under a few veru STRICT rules:
1. Nursing = no camping
2. Cold weather = no camping
3. Camping may occur from Mid July (to avoid the 4th of July rush to the mountains) through the end of August.
4. Best camping happens with our little family alone, or with one or two other families. No ward campout. (That's a new policy... we learn through trial and error)
5. Required: campground with running water and an outhouse, and shade.

Other than those few little rules, camping is great.

I love the hangover picture. You are truly a trooper, and you're makin' memories that will last a lifetime. Isn't it funny how thrilled kids get over camping? I'm glad for Josh that he got a more cooperative wife than Bryn did! :)

flower7657 said...

Amy you are a trooper! When I read your blog, I remember a trip with all the kids up to Moon Lake I think?(my memory fades because I was so tired after the experience!) I obliged to sleep with the baby in the car..thinking it would be warmer and then we wouldn't wake everyone up. I was cold all night, not comfortable, and the baby didn't sleep any better than I. Everyone else slept great! I think it gets better as the kids get older. :) Love the pictures...they tell it all! Love, Nana

Liz said...

We finally packed a tote in the garage that has all the things we normally forget--wipes, paper towels, gloves, etc. and it helps a lot with our camping trips now! I hate camping in the rain, too, though. We've looked into camping here and it is nothing like the West U.S. It may make it hard to go back to roughin' it!

Catherine said...

Ugh...this post made my left eye twitch. Sleep deprivation mixed with camping mixed with cold and wet....mixed with babies.... It should be against the law to go camping with babies. Owen's at the point where he would be fun to camp with, but I can't imagine trying to bring tate along. I just know he'd be a beast. I hope the nights get better soon

Catherine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.