Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Knight's Tale

Welcome to our Soldier Party!

Our decorations consisted of a purple plastic tablecloth, coats-of-arms and flags made out of construction paper and silver and gold curling ribbon glued on to make it fancy.

Even Diddles got a chair of honor.

Coloring pages for the kids to do first thing in the morning,

A pin-the-sword-on-the-knight game by using my mad skills from teaching 6th grade math. I enlarged the picture by using pieces of paper taped together as a graph. (poor photo, sorry)

We got him this knight's costume and foam swords for the whole family!


Some new Schleich Knights to add to his ever-expanding collection



This cake was so time-consuming, but when he asked for a "castle cake", how could I let him down? I researched all the decorating sites, but all required four boxes of cake mix and/or a special pan and fondant.

I improvised by baking doing a bundt cake and four cupcakes, and sticking some 1$ store silver canisters in the center to create a tower, and pretzels for the drawbridge. I frosted some waffle cones in lines while holding a baby and stuck the blue flags in the tops. Gray/black frosting is totally unappetizing! Honestly, the cake was delicious, but we barely ate it because who wants to eat something covered in black! Bleh. Blue sprinkles served for the water, and I outlined it in jellybeans, for a little POP of color - the "castle" was looking pretty dismal. Don't judge me, friends!



All was worth it in the end when Yaks came into the room to take a look at the finished product and said, and I quote, "Mom, this cake is SO WONDERFUL!" He placed his new soldiers on it and couldn't stop staring at it. Bless his heart.


For dinner we all went to McDonald's, per his request. Boo entered the doors and immediately started complaining of a stomachache. She didn't touch her food. We made it home just in time for her to lose it all over the rug. Fortunately this was at the end of the day! Poor Boo. Diddles had some sort of pink eye virus, and later that night Yaks was up crying with a sore throat. I came down with the stomach bug on Thursday. Josh has the sore throat today. All for one, and one for all!



We didn't let it foil our fun, though. Good times!

8 comments:

Tim Hale said...

Amy,

That was an awesome post! Those Schleich Knights are pretty fancy and your cake was fabulous. I've found that people enjoy a creatively decorated cake regardless of their age (recall the "kidney cake" that my roommates made for me last year).

Allison said...

Amy, have no worries. You are sooooo creative! If my kid asked for a castle ckae, I'll admit, I'd have gone to Walmart, Publix and Winn Dixie until I found a bakery that could make one :) We could learn a lot from you. I love the decorations too! You did a great job and it looks like Yaks had a blast!!

Happy Birthday Yaks!!!

Sarah said...

What a great birthday themed around the knights he loves. The costume is going to get alot of use, I'm sure! And, the cake looks great. I think I like the pretzal/wood-looking door the best.

Sorry about the sicknessES. Wish it would have just stopped at ONE...not ALL. Or even better, NONE at all.

Have a good week.

Stephanie said...

What a great party. You are so creative and fun. My kids would probably enjoy it if you'd agree to do a 'Mom Swap' for a week or so! Love the cake, don't you dare apologize for it, it's fabulous. It made the birthday boy happy, and THAT'S what matters.

Dianna said...

Wow! You are amazing and so is the cake. Ben knows what is beautiful - a cake decorated just for him by a mom who is multi-tasking no less! Your creativity is so impressive.

Shelese said...

HA! I love it. Such is life huh? fun fun fun and then sick. no fun. I thought your cake was so beautiful too! Great job.

kthom said...

Cole's birthday is next month...ya up for doing the cake?! Mucho impressed my friend! XOXO

Plowgian Page said...

Happy belated birthday Ben. What a fun and creative party. I particularly love the cake and flag banner. Can I ask where you found those swords? We've got two dueling little boys that would like to duke it out. The mom would like to keep it safe.