Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Happy Fourth Birthday, Yaks!

Happy Birthday Yaks,

Your fourth Birthday is finally here! This morning when you woke up at 5:00am... and then proceeded to wake the rest of us up with two choices: " You can come downstairs, or I'll just have to celebrate my birthday wifout you!", I had to smile and remember that you were born nice and early in the morning. It's only fitting.


You've had a year full of big accomplishments! Shortly after your birthday you were weaned from your beloved Binkie. It was a challenge for you to overcome, and I'm so proud of you. You quit cold turkey, and did it all on your own, saying, "I'm free (three), I'm too big for binkies." Sadly, when the binkie habit broke, we got a new one of sleeping-through-the-night-in-your-own-bed problems. After months and months of trial and error, you now happily sleep in your own bed, "All duh nights!" You also potty-trained yourself this year. It happened all-of-a-sudden within one week, and now happily change your underwear at least three times a day just for the fun of it. You graduated to "big primary" also, and although you've had to miss several weeks due to illness, you seem pretty excited to be in there with sister Boo.


Your "speak" is my favorite thing, and when you say big grown up things with your little voice, I just melt and have to kiss your cheeks. Things like, "Well, I'll just half tuh dry my tears." or "Boo, jus try it! It's good to try new fings." or "Mom, toofs go under our pillows." But, it's not just "pillows", it's like "pill-ow-wuz". Your annunciation is excellent, and three syllables are better than two, wouldn't you agree?


You've been such a wonderful brother to your little sister, Diddles. I daresay you're more careful and gentle with her than your older sister! She enjoys sitting with you, and I love how you speak to her as though she understands. Perhaps she does. When we forget to clip her fingernails and she accidentally scratches you, you'll say, "Dids, you jus scrrratched me! Say sorry. Dat really hurt." I used to think that the two girls were a calming influence on you, but you really are a gentle soul (in between the foam sword fights), and you really are a kind brother to both your sisters.

Last night after we tucked all the kids in bed and Diddles was putting herself to bed, I heard her mobile music turn on in her room. I went in to investigate and there you were, in her crib laying right next to her, with her arms flapping with delight. I asked what you were doing and you said, "She just wants me tuh go duh sleep wiff her. And when she goes to sleep, I'll just sneak right out of her room."

You have a pretty easy-going nature, are quick to share and forgive and try something new. Common phrases are, "Dats okay, Mom. We can juss wipe it. We can juss wash it. We can juss shake it off!" It's usually following an event such as this:

No, this wasn't last month or last week.
This was last night I discovered this after everyone was in bed. Why...



You are such a joyful little boy, and one of my favorite things is to surprise you with something special or find something that you have been missing, and hear you gasp with surprise and smile that big, sweet smile.


You love soldiers and building with blocks and lining cars or your soldiers up in straight rows, doing projects or playing pretend games with Boo.

You are a casual dresser, preferring pajamas over anything else, and lately no shirt and short-sleeves and "short-pants". Your birthday dinner request was "Old McDonalds" with a "shouljer cake and ice cr-ee-yum. Other favorites include Spaghetti w/ meatballs, cheese, whole apples, oranges, fruit roll ups, white ice cream. Your favorite song is "I am a Child of God", your favorite letter is B. :) You've had a great time sitting in on preschool with Boo when it is at our house. You love your Dad, and he plays rough games with you and teaches you cool tricks that give me a heart attack.


I hope four years old brings as much fun and adventure and happy times as three. I feel so honored to be your Mom. Happy Birthday, my litto Mon-key.

5 comments:

Trish and Matt said...

He could not be ANY cuter!

Dianna said...

What a great tribute to such a great boy! I too love his Ben speak.

flower7657 said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY YAKS! Nana and Papa want to skype, so we can see all the Birthday Fun! We Love You and miss you! What a Big Boy and so sweet to your sisters!

Amy, I love this sweet tribute to Yaks! He really is so much fun and I miss the cute way he talks and tells you about things.

Stephanie said...

What a sweet boy. I love to read your tribute and 'get to know' him a little bit. His 'speak' is so great. Sounds like a very articulate little boy. Happy Birthday!

Cara and Steve said...

Happy birthday Ben! Steve, Grace, and I miss you lots! Amy, I feel like its been forever since we last saw you... hopefully we can save enough so I can come up to visit. Hugs and kisses!