Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Open House: The White House

We live in a small town. It's right next to a smaller town. Those small towns are surrounded by miles and miles of wheat fields. We're not near the beach, or historical monuments, or a major airport hub.

It's a great place, but we know that not many of you blog readers will be able to visit us up here, so I thought I would to take you on a tour of our house! Not to be braggy, but just so that you can see what our life is like here! I thought it would be fun. So, pretend you just pulled up to our driveway and walked up the steps to our house and you're haulin' your bags behind you, and Yaks is beckoning you to come in, and Boo is offering you a steaming cup of hot chocolate and Diddles is...crying. Can you see/feel/hear/smell it? Okay then. Come on in!
See? Yaks will take your bags and throw them here in the front closet! What a kid. He's so cute. We confiscated all of his shorts (because it's winter) except for this one pair. Guess what he wears EVERY day?


There are actually two entrances to our house. These stairs go down to the garage, which our whole house sits upon. It makes our house look really HUGE and borderline ostentatious. I promise it's not. It's just tall. Since we are renting this house ("borrowing it", as I tell the kids), we want to take special care of it, so no shoes allowed. That's why you see this dumping ground of SHOES here. We need some sort of shelving unit to keep our shoes organized. Suggestions?


This is the front room. It's an "open floor plan", which has some weird spaces. This is half of the room. Kindof our "front room". This is the other half. I'm not sure what it is supposed to be. Perhaps a dining room? We use it to play ball and to dance and to race back and forth. That sliding glass door leads to our backyard.Here is the backyard. It's got a nice, large deck that the kids can ride their bikes. There is a really steep hill that should make for some fun sledding in the winter. Over the hill is the soccer field for the Jr. High School, as well as a park!


Laundry Room, Bathroom

Our front room has this partial wall with a double-sided gas fireplace that you can see in this photo. I'm sure there is a name for that type of fireplace, but it's one of my favorite features of the house. It's cozy and warm, and can be enjoyed from TWO sides. I love it! Plus, Santa has a place to come down. The kids are excited about that one! On the other side is our Kitchen/Living Room.
Here's the Kitchen. I love it as well. Tons of cupboard space and lots of counters. It's bright and cheery and I love cooking in it. We almost tossed our large kitchen table in the move, but I'm so glad we kept it! It fills this space perfectly! We have a little computer station where we can Skype you when you aren't here. Sniffle.


On the other side of the kitchen table is this additional area that we turned into our Family Room. Our TV sits above the fireplace and we hide toys behind the couch.
These doors open to this little "breakfast deck", and this is the view out the front. It's overcast here a lot...and windy.
Up this large staircase (I'm sure to lose all my baby weight with all the stairs I have to climb every day) are the bedrooms. There are four on one floor, which is awesome. I wish more homes had four bedrooms on one floor.
Hallway.
Yaks' room. The owners have a girl and a boy, so they painted one room blue, and the other purple. PERFECT. Kids' bathroom

Boo's Room
This room functions as Diddles' room, an office, and a toy room! It also houses my "crash bed", which I put to good use when I have newborns and they are up all night long. It's just easier. Keepin' it real here, friends!
Here is a view of the toy closet/crawlspace. It works perfectly!

Master Bedroom. I'll sleep in here all night someday...


Master Bathroom with DOUBLE SINKS! Why would a couple need two sinks? I dunno. A shower, a toilet room and a walk-in closet. Boring. The coolest feature of this bathroom is THIS. A jetted tub! Josh filled the tub with a ton of bubbles and then turned on the jets for the kids' bathtime! It was as good as Christmas morning!

So, there you have it! A tour of our house! One should probably not conclude a tour with a bathroom. I'm not a professional, as you can tell by this tour and my photos.

Thanks for coming to visit today. Come again soon!

11 comments:

laurenthequeen said...

I love it!!! So gorgeous. The kitchen and the jetted tub are my favorite parts. And the fireplace looks so cozy. Wish I could tell you that I'd be right over to snuggle that Diddles and make you some berry sauce for your ice cream.

Miss you so much.

Sarah said...

That is a NICE place! Far away...but beautiful.

I loved taking the tour. Gives us all a better idea of your daily life. Who knows, maybe some roadtrip of ours will wind up that far for a real tour in the next 18 months!

I hope that you really can settle into it and begin to feel at home.

kthom said...

I loved the tour. I wondered what Pullman looked like after all these years. Just for kicks...take a picture of downtown or where you shop or whatever and email it to me, cause I'm surely the only one interested. I'd love to see what it looks like now. Your kitchen looks fabulous and I'm sure food tastes real real good coming outta there! XO

kthom said...

I didn't mean I'm the "only one interested"...I meant, since I probably was the only one who had actually been there before... I would want to see the town again. I sound like a dork, just making sure I didn't sound rude...just dorkish. XO

Dianna said...

Your house looks great! I bet it is really nice having all those large open gathering places (a change from the multi-level). I think the two sink thing was designed by someone who liked to brush his teeth simultaneously with his wife but didn't want to re-enact the scene in Mad About You where Jamie spits toothpaste on Paul's neck. :) Have you seen it?

Cara and Steve said...

Thanks for the tour Amy! I love your home... and so much space! I really want to come visit, but we'll have to wait until little one is born :) P.S.- Steve and I don't wear shoes in our apartment and we have a cute basket by the door we put our shoes in. They have them at Big Lots for $5... but I guess you might not have a Bog Lots there.

Shelese said...

That was so fun to see. It's so fun to imagine you there now. Thanks ames!!

Allison said...

Thanks for having us! LOL!! I LOVE how you "keep it real" Amy! The house is beautiful and I LOVE you kitchen too! That island would be perfect for all the christmas baking I'm going to have to start doing in another month. Keep those pics coming! I love seeing where all of my friends live now and what it's like there. Maybe one day I'll start posting pics again and eveyone will see what it's like here! :)

Sally said...

Cute house. the hill looks awesome to sled down.

Stephanie said...

I love it! What a great place. The kitchen and fireplace are my favorite features. It also seems to have lots of big windows.

I hope you feel settled real soon.

Kimm said...

thanks for the tour! It looks awesome, and I love your "crash bed" I wish I had come up with that idea!! Dang, you're smart!! I love your tub too, it makes me want to visit just for a bath! ha ha