Sunday, April 26, 2009

Our Fowl Introduction


Yaks was at nursery today and was excitedly telling his teachers about his "chickees" that live in his backyard. They said, "Well, maybe your grandma has chickens in her backyard, but you don't have chickens in your backyard!" Poor buddy. I can just imagine his crestfallen face after being corrected on something that is factual. I figure it's time to come out of the coop and share our new additions with all of you.

We have chickens.

Six of 'em.

We call them "Cheekies".


I was skeptical at first when Josh brought up the idea. My mom welcomed all kinds of animals into our home growing up, and at any given time we had a dog, cat, lizard, snapping turtle, crawdads, and a jar of black widow spiders dwelling at our residence. I'm not my mom though, and I don't really share her love of all things furry and in our case "feathered" dwelling in or around my house.

Backyard "Urban" Chickens are really growing in popularity. They are relatively easy to care for, they don't need to be groomed, walked, entertained or babysat. They take up very little space, their waste makes excellent compost and they take care of bugs in your lawns and gardens! Our cheekies are being used for their eggs alone (organic, fresh and free). We eat eggs almost every morning for breakfast and we go through two dozen a week! It's also strangely comforting knowing that if times really got rough, we could have a chicken in our pot for dinner on any given night.  

After sharing a few of my concerns, mainly not infuriating our awesome neighbors and building a coop that wouldn't "junkify" our yard, Josh got to work. He spoke with our neighbors and then got going on the coop. Our cheekies arrived via airmail and they lived comfortably in a brooding box in our basement bathroom under a heating lamp until they were old enough to move outside. I've got to admit, they've really started growing on me. I still can't pick them up. Their feet are just too "lizardy" for me, but they are so entertaining to watch. So, allow me to introduce you to our cheekies!

This is Dr. Evil/Popeye
He won't be with us for long. He's a Plymouth Rock rooster (it's impossible to tell the gender of chicks), and as entertaining as it is to watch him catch worms and eat mosquitos right out of the air, I don't want to hear cockadoodle doo at all hours of morning, noon and night. He doesn't respect personal space and gets "up in my grill" and stares at me with his chicken eye - it's creepy. He has nipped at my fingers, thinking they are worms. (shudder) We'll give him away to someone who would like a rooster. The kids have learned to deal with him by either clapping their hands or picking up their leg to shoo him away, as demonstrated here:



Fast One/ Spot
Before we learned that chickens actually put themselves to bed, once they have an established home, we had to corral and catch all six of the chickens after letting them out in our yard to "play". This one is impossible to catch. She's fast and sneaky and will hide and sit very still, blending into the bushes and shrubs hoping we'll miss her. Usually when all of the chicks are together, the lone rangers miss their friends and will start to chirp and cry and eventually find their way back to the flock. It's quite cute. Not Spot. She dudn't care. She's not being caught no matter what you have to offer. Now life is good and they just roam back to their coop as soon as the sun goes down!  Wouldn't that be cool if our kids did that?

The antithesis of Dr. Evil is Polkadot
Oh, dear Polkadot, if we could clone you, we would. You are so dainty and small and kind. We don't even know what breed you are!  The kids named her polkadot because her markings around her eyes look like dots (more like leopard spots). She's gonna be beautiful once she gets past this ugly pre-teen phase that they are all currently in.

The Girls
We have three brown chicks (their breed is called Rhode Island Red) and they are a little cliquey. I can't tell them apart, so we just call them "girls" or "brown ones" - I know, we're so original! They are always found together, gossiping and strutting around. It flashes me back to Jr. High all over again!

Josh built the coop/chicken run, which is actually a refurbished wooden dog house. Isn't it something? It's got a false bottom that slides out like a drawer to easily remove their droppings, roosting sticks, shady spots, a ramp and latches to keep them nice and safe. The kids and Josh worked on this for several weeks! 

Here's Yaks putting up "Christmas Lights". He said their house needed decorations. And what house doesn't, I ask you! Boo concerns herself with giving them enough food. She's constantly chasing them around with handfuls of feed, sprinkling it around saying, "breakfast time, everybody up, hurry, hurry!" (Can you name that film, Disney Princess fans?) She even saved popcorn kernels from a party at Nana's to give to her cheekies. Too cute.

So, here's to our little hobby/experiment! Will you all still speak to me? You don't think we're crazy, do you? We'll give it a try and see how it all works out.

14 comments:

Heidi Totten said...

My sister has chicks, too. I think it's pretty cool!

Lin said...

while i am not a fan of chickens at all, i think it's a cool idea. you get eggs and it sounds like it's a good family activity. it's hard to find something where all of your little kids can be involved no matter what age they are.

plus, i'm certain you will get more good stories out of it. haha.

Dianna said...

How cool! Leave it to Josh to build a super dooper chicken coop. You guys are so inventive and smart! I love the Christmas lights.

Emily said...

I think that is an awesome idea! The coop is amazing!

Nicole said...

Wow chickees rock! Did Josh get his coop from a plan or did he make it up? Regardless I would love plans for how he did that. I wanted chickens in Alaska, and I even researched a breed that was hearty up here, but we do not have the space now in the yard we currently reside in. My mother in law has 20 chickens, but they are on a farm and have room for all of them (plus cows, geese, horse and a goat is coming this summer to keep down the weeds). The eggs are the best! you rock farmer Amy!

Liz said...

Wow! That chicken run/coop is awesome. I hope it continues to go so well. We'd love to do something like that someday. (Not soon, obviously :) ).

Trish and Matt said...

Fascinating. I'm impressed that you have the energy to do it all! And no ... we don't think you're crazy. Keep the chickie stories coming!

Sarah said...

I bet Ben WAS totally sad when nobody believed his announcement. We'll be over to see your "feathered dogs" again soon. The coop looks really good, props to Josh!

Sally said...

Cinderella!

Stephanie said...

Wow. That is sumpthin'. Their house is beautiful and I was just reading about the importance of starting your day with protein. I think it's great. Just don't tell my kids. I don't think I'm up for it. :) We are braving betta fish right now.

Cara and Steve said...

Hooraaaay!!! I'm so glad that you finally came out about the chicks. I'm sad that I didn't get to see them when I was home. My mom said their wasn't much to see, but I'm kind of disappointed that I didn't see the "evil eye", "polka-dot", and "the girls." I don't think I've ever tried eggs that fresh before. Good thing the kids like eggs :) P.S.- I'm sooooo excited to see you guys in Lake Powell.

Plowgian Page said...

ohhh my. You and Josh are brave. Don't get me wrong. I think its awesome. I just know I couldn't do it. And the chicken coupe. That is a sight to behold. I'm excited for you entire experience (naming, feeding, caring for your feathered friends). If you keep it up the kids will have quite the memories.

Mama Adrienne said...

What a fun family thing. I bet the HOA would get after us here for something like chikhens, but it inspires me to also find something fun we will do to foster family development. Maybe we'll build a boat together?!

Love the comments about Jane-- fun age. Audrey misses her.

Mrs. Grindstaff said...

My kids love to tend Grandpa's chickens - and I seem to recall Andrew taking especially good care of our chickens once when you visited. Mark just got chickens installed at his place, too.

By the way, I love the names.