Monday, October 13, 2008

Me Oh My


The English language is difficult. I know this because I've taught it to grown adults who are learning it as their second language. It's tricky, and it's always changing on you. There are exceptions to almost every rule. It's been a fun experience to listen as my kids learn to formulate sentences and discover the rules of grammar for themselves. I have hesitated to give much correction, first of all because it's so cute to hear the "errors", and secondly, they usually correct themselves eventually, so why waste my breath?

Lately, Boo's been making up her own rules, and I'm starting to think twice about my logic. We've been doing fine for years, but lately, it's gone from this:

I'm going to put on my clothes.
Who wants pancakes?
I do!
This one's mine, and this one's yours, Yaks.


to this:

Mees going to put on my clothes.
Who wants pancakes?
Me does!
This one's myes, and this ones yours, Yaks.


A slip up now and again would be fine, even funny, but it's like rubbing blown up balloons to hear her say these over and over again with consistency! She's also at the age where she does a running commentary of her life, where at any given moment she narrates what she's done, what she's going to do, what she's hoping to do, what she's plotting to do, etc. It's nice in a way, because I always know what's going on, but when it sounds like this, I'm not so sure:

Myes going to go get my hairbrush.
Mees has to go potty first, and then my get myes shoes on!

Me wants to get this puzzle out, Mom.

Yaks and mees are going to build a fort.

Me does it by myself, Mom.


So, I've started correcting her (gently), but I feel like I'm doing it more than 20 times a day!
Boo: "Mees going to get a hairbrush."
Amy: "Say, I'm going to get a hairbrush."
Boo: "I'm going to get a hairbrush."

What's going on here? Should I rely on Yaks to teach her properly? He seems to have no trouble. Mys is going to go crazy listening to mees child! Should my just wait it out and hope it improves, or should me continue correcting? Please help MEES! ;)

9 comments:

Heidi Totten said...

I belong to the school of thought where you correct your children. I correct my kids all of the time. My cousins were all straight A and to hear them talk you would never think so. Their grammar is terrible and they sound illiterate. Their mom was an English professor and never corrected them because she didn't want to be obnoxious. And now it shows. My mom corrected me non-stop. Sadly I don't think kids just pick up on it because they hear their friends talk, too. Sorry - one of my soapboxes I guess!

Shelese said...

Erik corrects our kids all the time so I don't have to. ha. j/k (sort of)

I tend to think it's cute and don't correct them until kindergarten... so I've started correcting Jessika now.

Anonymous said...

Amy..I won a free 10 day pass to Anytime fitness in Bountiful. I don't make it up there enough to be able to use it. Would you or Josh or someone up there that you know be able to use it? Let me know and I will send it to you.

**This is NOT a hint by any means. :)

Sarah said...

I correct them, similar to you, by simply repeating their phrase - BUT with the correct grammer. ex: Meg:"She gawv it to me"
Me: "Oh, Paige GAVE it to you!"
Meg: "Yes! She GAVE it to me"

Meg doesn't seem to mind this subtle nudging because #1-repeating them shows them that you are listening in the first place, and #2-they hear it correctly modeled by you but then can quickly move onto their next thought with much bad attention. Make sense??

They'll "pick it up the playground" as it was always said in Kindergarten...but just do what you can to be sure they hear things the right way before repeating it.

p.s. off the subject - what do you think of The Host??

ww said...

Sweet; a post about language acquisition! (I love linguistics!) Don't worry; kids often go through a period where they will use irregular verbs (such as "do") incorrectly after using them correctly for a while. But after a while they will get it all figured out. It seems like the examples you've given are pretty typical. Kids are language learning machines and they will turn out just fine. At this point, your corrections will probably not do anything to change the way she speaks, and it will be super frustrating to you, so I would just say don't worry too much and just let language acquisition take its course. If you feel like your daughter's language is somehow very very different from other children her age you could have her evaluated by a speech therapist, but honestly I think everything will turn out just fine. Sorry you're frustrated! The human language acquisition system is a remarkable thing!

Dianna said...

I agree with Sarah's comment about repeating what the child says only including the corrections. I am an English teacher, and this seems to be the less snooty, least obnoxious way to give children the validation as well as the adjustments they need. The dialogue you included is very entertaining though, especially when it turns to your voice!

Trish and Matt said...

I'm with Sarah and Dianna. When Goose says something wrong, I repeat her sentence but add in the proper grammar. I don't think she even realizes I'm correcting her. Most of the time the principle sticks and she uses it right the next time.

Of course, they are just little girls and I think it's OK (quite cute, actually) when they make some mistakes. Goose always says: "Why I'm doing this is ..." or "Why I want to go to the park is ..." I've said, "Oh? THE REASON you want to go park is that you want to ..." a hundred times but she still doesn't get it. I'm sure one day it will just stick!

Cute, cute Boo. I know that one day you'll be so glad you recorded those cute sentences.

Stephanie said...

Oooh, yeah. It can be a little hard on the educated mom's ears, huh? BUT. I think it's totally normal and I do believe she will work it out, mostly through what she hears/observes from you. I like to phrase it back to kids without boldly "correcting". "I'm going to get my hairbrush too, we can brush our hair together."

I currently have a 6 1/2 year old who's trying out an INTENTIONAL baby talk phase! Aggggggh! I have less patience for that than honest grammar problems. Today I gave a small lecture (out of desperation) about the zillions of hours spent teaching her to talk, and now she's CHOOSING baby talk?!?!?

Good luck. One day I think we'll both think back on these troubles with a grin.

kthom said...

Maybe the "mees" talk is an indirect result of your tweenage sisters love affair with Jar Jar Binx...years ago.??? She'll grow out of it, I'd role play and gently correct just like you're doing. If she's still doing it at 10...change strategies! Thanks for the anniversary wishes, time flies. We had a very romantic night consisting of haircuts/baths for the boys, breaking up late night arguing, watching a little t.v. and me falling asleep while reading. At least he was home!!
-Shirt: Gap outlet