Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Lows of the Heights


I didn't take AP English. I'm not sure why. Our guidance counselor didn't do much counseling, and I didn't realize until I was in my senior year of high school that if one took an AP class, and passed the test at the end of it, it would transfer to college credit. I thought AP was for people who were just overachievers, or who enjoyed extra homework and time-consuming projects. Anyway, that's how I missed out on Wuthering Heights as a lass. I think I read Jane Eyre in my class, which I loved.

What a tragic story! Did anyone love this book? It's fine if you did - I'm very curious of your take on it. I just kept reading it, hoping the main characters (Heathcliff and Catherine) would make a change or attend an anger management meeting or start attending church or something to get their lives in order! I shifted back and forth as to who to feel the sorriest for, and I think I settled on Hareton. Poor kid. Most of the characters in the book I just wanted to scoop up and take home with me, cook them a decent meal (other than gruel), and put them in some serious therapy! I did like that the characters (who were left) at the end finally had a bit of peace, and I don't know where any of them would be without their saint of a housekeeper, Nelly.

Wow, those Bronte sisters sure had imaginations with dark linings, didn't they? Anyway, I finished the book today, and was glad to have finally read the classic. I'm glad I don't have to write a paper on it or do some multi-media presentation.

5 comments:

laurenthequeen said...

I was a little disappointed by the Heights. Having heard such things about Heathcliff as a romantic "hero" of sorts, I wondered if I was the only one who found the book really depressing. I'm glad that I read it, but it definitely didn't make it on my list of classics to read again.

Sarah said...

I also missed this book through school. But, I've heard of it as a classic to get through. The same friend who recommended Jane Eyre to me also LOVES Heights...but it seems too dark for me. If you are saying it is depressing and one that you have to think hard about I may hold off.

love.boxes said...

I agree with Lauren about the idea of Heathcliff as a romantic hero. He's a broken person and they never make good mates as empathetic as they are. Sadly, I have seen this in real life where there are two people who love each other, but they have stuff in the way and can't make it together. I find the book to be really realistic in some ways as only fiction can show the picture sometimes.. if you know what I mean. :)

Amy said...

Ah, so true, Tiffany! Come to think of it, I know a few characters that fit that bill as well. It's funny sometimes how even bizzare fiction can come so close to reality.

Liz said...

I tried to finish it a couple of years ago and got too frustrated. I have friends who say it is their favorite book, but I say, "To each his own." I loved Jane Eyre, though.