Friday, May 9, 2008

Dear Smith's Produce Man,

Thank you for coming to my rescue today. Right after you finished helping that woman choose a ripe watermelon for her family dinner, you kindly noticed my children, who were acting like sour lemons. My daughter was yelling at my son because he was "driving the car too fast". I realize that it is a fake car-cart, and that I am actually the one driving the thing. I know that the cart was completely stopped, but you see, my son likes to BUG his sister, and by turning the wheel like a speed racer, he led her to believe that they were "goee fasther". It was working, and she was starting to panic. I know...

While I was selecting broccoli crowns, you noticed the exchange, which was edging closer and closer to a shoving match. You must have sensed my exasperation with them and my dislike for shopping with them in general. You could have shot dirty looks at my kids or even ignored them, carrying on assembling your deli trays, but you didn't. You helped a mother out. And you (sniffle) you intervened by offering an olive branch...manna from heaven...individually wrapped baby carrots. My kids had never seen that snack so cutely wrapped and just their size. One bag for each child! They happily munched on their carrots for the rest of our shopping trip. I wonder if you have kids yourself, or if you might be a grandpa who knew that carrots would do the trick. Whatever it is, I think you should win Employee of the Month...nay, EMPLOYEE OF THE YEAR!

I thought about mentioning your name to the manager on duty and demanding a raise for you, but worried you would get in trouble for giving us free food. So, thank you produce man (I didn't even catch your name - time was precious and they were eating fast). You will always have a soft place in my heart, and I know where to turn next time I need to choose a watermelon!

Your now loyal customer,
Amy

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Wonderful writing. Funny. True. I completely understand the cart-car, the fact that it drives even when parked, trying to just get the shopping done while ignoring the toddlers, nearly tearing up when a kind person intervenes rather than judging. Oh I feel for you. Oh I love the man who helped you!

Trish and Matt said...

Yay for someone coming to your rescue! At the place where I normally shop, there's a tray of treats on top of the bakery counter. A few times I've walked by to find it empty but one of the people behind the counter has asked: "Do the kids need a cookie?" They've proceeded to just take something out of the glass case and give it to them! Angels, indeed.

love.boxes said...

A little kindness goes a long way. I love this story!

kthom said...

I love it, you tell the story so well...it's like I was there, wait...I HAVE been there, without the carrots though, so nice Mr. Produce man. I love when the fake car cart has NO STEERING wheels...that's a fun trip!

Sally said...

I would totally tell the store! I bet the guy would just love it.