Friday, February 8, 2008

My Favorite Oatmeal Cookies

Cookies are always a yummy treat. This past week I wanted to make a batch for my brother, who was recovering from a surgery, and my mom told me that Oatmeal were his favorite. My mom always feels justified in making (and eating) them, because of the relatively healthy ingredients that are found in them: oats, nuts, raisins, craisins. Good call, Mom!

I tried one recipe that called for butter, but I overcooked both batches (note to self: don't try to bake while the kids are awake) and they were too crispy. I like a chewy oatmeal cookie. So then I looked at the Quaker website and found this recipe, which used shortening instead, and they turned out really well! I made them plain, but thought that any combination of walnuts, craisins or chocolate chips would be yummy as well.

You want to pull them out of the oven just as they are starting to golden on the edges and the top. They may look undercooked, but don't worry. They taste SO good!

1 comment:

love.boxes said...

I love... LUV oatmeal cookies! I bet your brother was a happy guy!