Sunday, January 27, 2008

We Thank Thee, O God, For A Prophet!


Our beloved Prophet, President Hinckley passed away this evening. Here is the article on lds.org. It's still sinking in for me. Although he was 97, it seemed as though he would be our earthly prophet forever. I will miss him, but I can just imagine the sweet reunion with his dear wife, Marjorie. That makes me happy.

I remember the first time I was in President Hinckley's presence. He came to speak at Utah State at the Spectrum stadium. I remember standing when he entered the room and knowing that I was in the presence of God's prophet. It was a feeling I will never forget and each time I have seen him take the pulpit, I feel that same feeling. I also remember following the events of 9/11 - it was such a scary, unsure time, particularly since I was living in VA at the time. I remember going to the special broadcast given by President Hinckley and feeling such peace and reassurance that all would be well.

Just last week, we had a new stake presidency put in, and Elder Ballard came as the visiting authority. He spoke at the Saturday adult meeting and I wanted to share a thought he shared with us. He said (and I'm paraphrasing): "We sing 'We Thank Thee O God, for a Prophet', but I wonder if we even know what we are singing ! 'We feel it a pleasure to serve thee, and love to obey thy command'. Do we obey his command? Do we feel it a pleasure to serve? I hope we do, for we should."

I love you, President Hinckley. Thank you for being our prophet!

1 comment:

Tim Hale said...

Thanks, Amy. It's a good point, do we remember the man or his council? President Hinckley was someone that was a joy to follow. I look forward to this evening when I can post my own unique experiences with our prophet.