Tuesday, November 20, 2007

November I'll Remember

Yesterday was such a beautiful day! Temps were in the mid-60's, with a breeze just strong enough to make the leaves blow around at your feet. A perfect Fall day. I took the kids to the park, which is always a fun time. The leaves were blowing across the sidewalk and Yaks thought they were alive and were going to eat him. It was so funny! I wish I had a camera to show you this kid RUNNING in fear from dried, dead leaves! I guess they do make a scary sound when they are scratching along the sidewalk.

We slid down slides, swung (?) on the swings and ran and danced on the park's community performance stage. It's the middle of NOVEMBER! It was one of those days where it felt good to be outside, especially knowing our days spent outside with no jackets on are numbered. I thought to myself, "Wow, I hope I never forget this beautiful day." It makes me sad that today the cold front is starting to push through, my feet are cold, and it's only 34 degrees outside. Winter is coming. Sigh.

There's a great Simon and Garfunkel song that reminds me of yesterday called April Come She Will. It's about all the wonderful months leading up to the cold, sad, dead winter months.
April come she will
When streams are ripe and swelled with rain;
May, she will stay,
Resting in my arms again.
June, shell change her tune,
In restless walks shell prowl the night;
July, she will fly
And give no warning to her flight.

August, die she must,
The autumn winds blow chilly and cold;
September Ill remember
A love once new has now grown old.

On a lighter note, we had a fun FHE last night. I found an idea to make paper bag turkeys in The Friend. Boo has been obsessed with turkeys, since our neighbors put up one of those inflatable turkeys on their roof. It "wakes up" every night and sleeps during the day. I bet you didn't know turkeys did that! Her interpretation of a turkey's sound is "Look-a, Look-a, Look-a". I LOVE to hear her say it. It makes me laugh. We had a lesson on gratitude and discussed the story of Jesus healing the 10 lepers. Then we each helped the kids think of things for which they are thankful, and wrote/drew them on each feather. Then we taped the feathers to the turkeys. It was a fun one. I went ahead and made the turkey bodies in advance and cut out the feathers to save time. I'm sure older kids could handle the project from start to finish.

Today Boo is saying "Thank you" for everything. "Thank you for reading me a story last night." Thank you for tying my bow. Thank you for fixing my breakfast. Thanks for getting Cinderella out of the toilet (don't ask)." I need to remember to express gratitude more regularly, because it sure does feel good!

3 comments:

Trish and Matt said...

What a great lesson idea! We got your great fall weather today (I'm in the middle of blogging about it now). We raked leaves, played outside and will go for a walk when the kids get up. Sigh. These are the good times.

Sarah said...

Way to go with family night. Fun pictures. Jane definately looks excited. You are proving great with your 'new calling'. (any news on others?)

One of these days I'll have to explain/show you the SIMPLE family night picture chart we use to help Meg realize the simple routine of: song, prayer, lesson.... With pictures of each of us posted by each job it is easy for her to follow as a toddler. Of course Matt or I always take the lesson but Meg likes to be 'in charge' of song or treat... if interested I'll email a pict of it...

I'm glad you had a great fall day. It may have been a last hurrah. Already the cold weather keeping us inside is NOT exciting me.

I would have laughed at the running from leaves. I had a college professor at USU tell us that if you catch a leaf as it is falling from the tree you can make a wish from it(imagine all of us education girls wandering the USU sidewalks watching the trees-what a sight). Anyways, I told Meg about catching a leaf. We tried for a minute and then she gave up and headed straight for our aspens out front a pulled them off of the tree. Way to give in Meg...I guess that is a guaranteed way for wishes!?!

Heidi Totten said...

You are so creative! I'm lucky if we get a 20 second lesson. Tonight we are decorating the tree for FHE. I'm sad I missed the beautiful Fall day. I was in Arizona trying not to bake in the 90 degrees.