Another year gone already? Can it be that you are six!? This time last year we had a wonderful birthday celebration and then I got really, really sick. After several weeks in the hospital, I remember coming home and standing by the kitchen sink, looking into our backyard. You gave me a gentle hug, and it felt so, so good to be with you. I whispered, "It's so good to be home." You looked up at me with a smile and your warm, brown eyes and said, "There's no such place like home, right mom?" That's right.
This year you took a small step in leaving home (a BIG step for me), and went off to Kindergarten! It was difficult for you at first. Finding new friends can be hard. Every day I sent you off I would pray that you could find a special friend who would be able to see and love the person that we do. With a little help from your teacher, you ventured out into that world and have really been enjoying school and making some great friends.
You have a big, tender, caring heart. Last Spring you went to watch your Dad do a 1/2 Ironman. After he crossed the finish line, emotions and exhaustion overcame him and he leaned against a wall and cried. You began crying too, out of pure sympathy, and said in your typical sweet and willing way, "I can help you, Dad!" You are always willing to pitch in and help.
You are very responsible and like to take care of things on your own. Your room is always clean; the bed always made. You like to fix your own meals and help prepare meals with me, especially if it involves chopping with a knife! One morning I came downstairs to find that you had fixed yourself some "cinnamon toast", which consisted of a piece of toast, buttered with straight cinnamon sprinkled on top! No wonder you only took one bite! You had a good laugh when I told you that you need cinnamon AND sugar to make cinnamon toast.
You like to color, do projects, create inventions and build with Legos. You pay attention to details and have so many great ideas! I love your bright eyes and smile when you are telling me about an idea you have. It will be fun to see what you end up doing with such creativity.
This was my favorite drawing you did.
"Mom, this is you, and this is me. I'm finking about you, and you're finking about me."
One of your most recent Lego creations. A Lego Ninja store, complete with inventory, a storekeeper and a cashier with a conveyor belt.
A "great idea" of being Diddles' servants! Boo made a paper fan and microwaved some scrambled eggs, then you got out your Spiderman umbrella and shaded and fanned her while she ate her eggs and got to watch Shaun the Sheep. When is it MY turn!?
Before that happens, though, you want so bad to be a Scout. Making fires, knife safety, first aid, camping!? Yes, sir.
You've been able to be pretty involved in Scouts this year because Dad serves with the 11-yr-old Scouts. Lucky boy! You went on a campout with the older boys and had a great time!
Dad reads you adventure/survival chapter books like My Side of the Mountain, Hatchet and The Iceberg Hermit. A few weeks ago Dad attended a breakfast fundraiser for Scouting and came home and presented you with your first "patch". You wanted it sewn onto your shirt and wore it proudly to school. Adorable.
You are a thinker and I can tell you are sometimes just sitting and processing things in your mind - thinking them through. One day out-of-the-blue you said very thoughtfully, "Mom, there are different kinds of tears. There are happy tears, hurt tears, sad tears, and something-stuck-in-your-eye-tears." One morning driving Boo to school we saw a shaggy dog sitting in the passenger seat of a mini-van. I remarked how funny it looked. You said very seriously, "Mom, I don't think it's very appropriate for dogs to be riding in the front seat."
You love your sisters, but boy, are you a tease! Most upset screams are the result of you not respecting the personal space of Diddles, or inappropriate laughter about something that's not funny.
(sorry, now I'M laughing!)
We are having a Lego party today, complete with friends as guests - a first for us! We hope it's a special day for you. We love you so much. Happy birthday, Yaks!
Finally, a *new* birthday tradition of 20-questions:
1. What is your favorite color? blue
2. What is your favorite toy? Legos
3. What is your favorite fruit? apples
4. What is your favorite tv show? Spiderman
5. What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch? Peanut butter and honey sandwich
6. What is your favorite outfit? Blue striped shirt, black shorts
7. What is your favorite game? Sequence Jr.
8. What is your favorite snack? Melty Cheese & chips
9. What is your favorite animal? A monkey
10. What is your favorite song? "Scripture Power"
11. What is your favorite book? Power Rangers
12. Who is your best friend? Diddles
13. What is your favorite cereal? Apple Jacks
14. What is your favorite thing to do outside ? Play on the play structure
15. What is your favorite drink? Root Beer
16. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas
17. What do you like to take to bed with you at night? “I don’t really sleep with anything but blankets."
18. What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast? Cereal, toast, yogurt, pancakes
19. What do you want for dinner on your birthday? Spaghetti and meatballs
20. What do you want to be when you grow up? A regular Dad.