Monday, April 19, 2010

Manito Park!

Saturday we took a field trip to the city to explore some more. After a little Google search, we discovered Manito Park. The word Manito means "spirit of nature", and that couldn't be more true about this place. I wish it were closer, and I would honestly visit there once a week.


A 90-acre park with bike and walking trails, lovely gardens, a conservatory and playgrounds is perfect for all ages. We spent a good hour in the sand pile making forts, gardens and baking "cakes". After a quick trip to the restroom, where Yaks demonstrated his newly acquired skill of "going potty like big boys do"(standing up), we decided to stretch our legs and explore!


This is a rose garden. Can you imagine what it looks like when everything is in bloom later in the summer? I immediately thought how much my mother-in-law would love this.

There were plenty of private little benches to take a rest or have a snack. The park just kept going and going, with rolling hills of pine trees and little outcroppings of rock to climb - it was truly picturesque. At times I felt like I was wandering thorough the scenes of a Jane Austen novel!
I think he was saying, "I'm the king of the forest" or else "Let's get down to business, do defeat, the Huns!"

The park is safe and clean and large enough that you can feel like you're the only ones in the park. The kids can run around and yell and not bug anyone. The beautiful trees and lovely flowers set the perfect scene for some serious exploring and pretend play.



Diddle-brains had fun watching her brother and sister run around. She had the best "seat" in the house!


Boo declared this pink tree as her favorite.

Yaks - wondering if he truly just discovered the Sword in the Stone.

With plenty of trees, come plenty of sticks, which become plenty of "swords".

I loved this hedge!

Right as we were about to leave, we wandered over and found this Japanese Garden. It was like a little secret garden tucked away behind a beautiful gated fence. Boo tried to sound out Nishinomiya Tsutakawa. It was funny.
Perfect little benches and flowering trees and shrubs.



It had a Koi pond, a waterfall, foot bridges, and a gazebo!


No spear-fishing!

It's rare to find a place that you can visit for free, spend the entire day, and leave with a smile on your face. Well, following this picture there were no smiles, because we were all worn out and hungry. We set off to find a place to eat and were bummed that this place was closed for dinner.

Mary Lou's Milk Bottle - Homemade ice cream and hamburger buns, handcut fries and "50's charm"! I know my mom and father-in-law would LOVE it.


It's safe to say, it was a GREAT day!

8 comments:

Nicole said...

That is Amazing! We have a Botanical garden here that I am waiting for "spring" to get out to explore it. I loved you purple little hedge too!

Taylor's said...

Ooooo . . .go back when it is full bloom and do professional family photos can you image the backdrops you will have to choose from! How fun!

Shelese said...

Wow! What a great park. Only in Idaho right? :) I love that state.

Shelese said...

Oh shoot, only in Washington. oops.

Dianna said...

Wow, that is just beautiful. You look so gorgeous in front of the purple hedge - so does Diddles. You are so lucky to have such an amazing resource so close to you. I suspect you will be going back, so hopefully we will see more photos of the park when it is all in bloom.

Sarah said...

What a beautiful area! Glad you got out.

If I keep my eyes open for "cheap" tickets into Spokane...would you make the drive up and get me? and show me to the iceream shop? and the park? Someday. Really, someday!

Brooke said...

Amy where is this place- I have been here for 3 years and didn't know this existed! You truly are the adventurer. I'll get directions from you tomorrow when I come. Can't wait to check it out!!!! :)

jessica said...

Hi Amy...
I came over from Kari's blog. I'm Jessica A and Jessica Romney is one of my BFF's. We have been friends for years, we live right by each other...So how do you know JR? I'm sending her over to your blog, I hope that's a good thing...

Clearly you live close by since you have discovered Manito Park...one of the best places around here for sure!


I enjoyed checking out your blog, your kiddos are darling...