Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Moscow...Not the one in Russia

We didn't think an anniversary, a new baby, and a birthday party were quite enough excitement for our little family. We thought it would be fun to top it with some bigger news:



We're Moving!




Josh applied for a job at the University of Idaho (Moscow, ID) to be their Director of Web Communications. After a phone interview, a trip up there for another round of interviews, and some ironing out of details, we're packing our bags and heading to Idaho next month. It's quite unexpected and not the best timing-wise, but since when does life care about "convenient timing"? We're excited for the new adventure and Josh is really enthused to stretch his legs on a career path that has some growth potential and new opportunities. I'm channeling my inner Martha (my mom) in trying to be upbeat, positive and supportive, despite my current battle with exhaustion, postpartum emotions, and flashbacks of being the "new kid" on the first day of school, holding my lunch tray and wondering where to sit (shudder).



We'll be busy this next month trying to rent out our lovely home here (don't quite want to let it go just yet and hoping that the market will take a turn), taking a house hunting trip up to Moscow to find a new place to live, celebrating Isaac and Megan's wedding, having the baby blessed, observing my birthday, packing up our house and moving up North.

16 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh my goodness! I'm excited for this new opportunity, but I'm feeling your pain on the timing.

Bryn took the job here in Denver when Olivia was 4 weeks old. I didn't even know I consented to it. His home office, at the time, was in our basement, he came up and hollered to me over a screaming toddler and screaming newborn, "SHOULD I APPLY FOR A NEW POSITION IN DENVER?" I said, "Whatever, that's fine."

WELL... here we are. All because of a postpartum, non-coherent answer I gave. :) It's been rough and great. And I don't know if we'll ever go back. This is home now.

So, here's to change. If your going to shake life up, you might as well shake it up really good. Again, I'd love to be there to be useful to you... but I'm not, because, well... you know.

Emily said...

Wow...that is big news! I wish that I were closer to help out! And...congratulations on the new job!

Taylor's said...

Wow - that happened fast!

I can't believe it - huge news! Where did your hubby used to work?

Heidi Totten said...

ok, then we have to see you before you move! At least once!

laurenthequeen said...

Being the "new kid" right now, I can so relate. In the midst of everything my boss said to me, "it doesn't have to be perfectly organized. throw it all in a box and you can make it work." This became my mantra... "it doesn't have to be perfect, just get it all there." Do the best you can and don't feel bad asking for help. That's what RS is for.

Sally said...

I am sure you will love Idaho. Good luck with the move... how will you be observing your birthday?

Dianna said...

What!!!!!????? Wow, I'm surprised, but I'm sure it will be a good thing for your family. I too wish I could be there to help out, but last year we shocked everyone by moving to the Middle East. So you know, it could be worse! :)

kthom said...

Yea for change???!!! Keep channeling your inner Martha, I'd advise that with any situation! I really think you're going to love it though. Just think how much your cute little family will bond together even more! And who wouldn't want to spend Halloween in the Palouse (?) is that how it's spelled? Now channel the other Martha and remember that "it's a good thing!" Congrats on the new job! How baby doing? Email me..let's chat! xo

Nicole said...

WOW! I guess the season for changes never cease. This time last year I still had no idea I would be in Alaska. I have heard it is absolutely beautiful up there in that part of Idaho and it sounds like a great thing for Josh. What about the chickies!

Trish and Matt said...

WOW! Life happens all at once, doesn't it? If anyone can do it -- and do it well -- it's YOU! Take lots of deep breaths, take it one day at a time and you'll do great!

(I've done it twice ... it's not easy or always fun, but it can be done.)

Anonymous said...

Wow! How great for your family! Moscow is a long ways away. For some reason I thought it was closer. I hope you enjoy your new adventure as well as your new little girl. :)

Amy said...

Thanks for all the supportive words, friends. Josh works at the U of U doing marketing for them. This will be a nice change for him. He's so excited.

The chickies have nice new homes with my cousin and Aunt and Uncle. They are happy and healthy. We'll get some more chickies someday...and be sure to blog all about it.

I think I'll "observe" my birthday by watching General Conference and possibly getting my hair cut. Maybe a new outfit, too. :)

Thanks for all the offers to help. I know each of you would if you could. You're the best!

Mary said...

Holy cow! Am I gonna miss you!! Let us know if you guys need help with anything!! We're just around the corner!!

Mrs. Grindstaff said...

Congratulations! I had college friends from Moscow and heard lovely things about it. I'm sure that you won't be the "new kid" long - this time you have cute kids to help you break the ice.

moranews said...

You are so positive and are handling all these changes so well. I'm sure you guys will do great there! Congrats to you on the new baby and new job! You have now shown me a new place on the map...Moscow, ID, who would have thought?

Liz said...

Congratulations! I hope everything goes well with your move.