Friday, June 5, 2009

Family Reunion 2009 - Lake Powell



I married into a boating family. I grew up with vacations of campouts and visiting monuments, battlefields and museums. Josh grew up with vacations of boating, watersports, hiking, and big trips to big lakes. We didn’t grow up with a boat or anything like unto it. I’m not a strong swimmer and although I’ve tried, I’ve never successfully gotten up on waterskiis.

When Josh and I were dating, his Dad took us down to Lake Powell one weekend in the Spring, so I could experience boating first-hand. Stewart is so generous not only with his boat, but with the time he sacrifices in pulling the tubers and skiers, and making it fun for all. The scenery was beautiful and we had a good time camping, hiking and boating. He even let me drive! I learned quickly the rules of the boat (remove your shoes before climbing aboard, keep all your stuff stowed, sit quietly and stay out of the way when the boat is being put in because it can be stressful, hang onto your hats, etc) One of our activities was hiking up to Rainbow Bridge. Here’s a picture of us six years ago:

Don't worry, Amy. You'll look like that again someday (sigh)

Two and a half babies later, and we returned with the family for a week at Lake Powell (“Lake Pow”). Once again, we hiked up to Rainbow Bridge and posed for a picture.

Boo and Yaks were excited to go to “Duh beach” and counted down na-night rests until the day arrived. It’s a long drive down there. Six hours, I think. Two hours into it, and Yaks was begging to turn around and go home! “I’m having a hard time waiting!” I didn’t have the heart to tell him that we were only 1/3 of the way there!


We had a good time, and despite my pregnant state, I held up pretty well. I was anxious the entire time that my kids would drown or fall or both! Fortunately there were a lot of helping hands there to assist.
Touring Glen Canyon Dam - we're 528 feet above the canyon floor.
Notice my death-grip and the box of baby wipes in my pocket!?

Following our trip, I interviewed the kids to find out their thoughts. Here’s what they had to say:

What was your favorite thing to do at Lake Powell?

Boo: I played in the sand and builded a sand castle. (They loved this and whined when we finally had to leave it. They were so concerned that someone would knock it down. No one knock it down, okay?)
Yaks: I rided on the tube wiff Angie. (Angie told them that if they want to go faster, they have to give a thumbs-up! Ethan gave a thumbs up, Angie gave a thumbs up, Yaks gave an index finger up! Close enough.)


What didn’t you like about Lake Powell?
B: I didn’t like to let fish eat me, but I liked to feed the fish! (Boo still remembers the time her cousin Emma encountered a dead fish while swimming. She must have asked me 20 times if the fish would eat her)

Y: I didn’t like to ride on the boat. I was sad because I bonked my head!
(Our trip out to Rainbow Bridge was a bit long and bumpy for the kids. Yaks bumped his head on one of the bumps and held it against the boat the rest of the trip.)

Favorite picture *no hair products were used in the filming of this shot*
Boat wind is a powerful thing!



He sure had fun with all of the rope on the boat.
Tying intricate knots (see photo), and tying up Josh's hands and feet like a Pirate! Arrgh!

What was your favorite part about the hotel? (They LOVED the hotel)

B: I liked the pool. The little pool (hot tub) and the big pool. (There was a 40-something woman sun tanning poolside while we were swimming one day. She had on a straw hat like Nana’s and asked rather loudly, “Is that Nana?” The woman looked at Boo with a look of disdain that she would dare suggest that she was old enough to be a grandma. I tried to explain that she had on a hat like her Nana’s. She shot me a similar look.)

Y: I liked swimming in the swimmy pool. (Yaks thinks he can swim and has no fear of the water. We had to watch him like a hawk because he would just leap into the water whether someone was there to catch him or not! My blood pressure is still recovering.)

Who was your favorite friend at Lake Powell?

B: Megan and Emma (Megan is Isaac’s girlfriend. Boo was attached to her hip the entire trip! She was such a trooper and was so kind and patient with our family. Thanks, Megan!)
Y: Isaac
What was your favorite food?
(We had delicious meals of pizza, tacos, chicken, sandwiches, salads, drinks, etc. What do you think they said?)
B: Ice Cream
Y: Fruit Roll-Ups
(My kids probably ate their weight in fruit-roll-ups. Sorry, everyone.)


Boo making mud balls. Amy feeling like a beach ball!

"Look Mom, I have bwownie hands!"

4 comments:

tara said...

Looks like an AWESOME trip! Love the hair pic!

Stephanie said...

What a fun trip! It looks like great times were had by all. The mud, the hair, the sun. You look great. It's been YEARS since I've been to Lake Powell, but what a great place to make great memories. It's so beautiful there. I can't believe how your two kiddos are growing up. Cutie patooties.

Sarah said...

I like the questions once home remembering it all! Great answers.

Shelese said...

Ha, I laughed right out loud at your beach ball feeling! ha. I so relate! Gotta love pregnancy and swimsuits :) You look great though Ames. What a fun trip and great memories.