Thursday, July 31, 2008

Primary Olympics


I'm substituting at the Primary Chorister this Sunday. It's secretly a calling I have always wanted to try. It seems like so much fun! I thought we'd do a song review this week, and to use the upcoming Olympic Games as the theme. I'll choose a child and let them wear one of Josh's marathon medals, and they get to choose which event to do.

Event #1. Shot Put - Using a muffin tin and a bean bag (Sarah, do you have a bean bag I could borrow?), the kids try to toss the bag into a cup. At the bottom of the cups are song titles, and we sing the one it lands on.

Event #2. Javelin - A disposable drinking straw with the song title rolled up in it. A child chooses a straw and then launches it as far as he/she can. I'll have challenges taped on the floor like "sing on one foot, sing with eyes closed, hum the song, etc"

Event #3 & 4. I need one or two more...

I read a fun idea of doing "hum that tune" where one child listens in on an ipod to a random shuffle song, and they have to hum the tune they hear. Then the kids have to guess what song they are humming. I think the Sr. Primary would love this, but I can't think of an event title.

Can you help a sister out?

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Yes...I have a bean bag...but it is a 4" square one and may not fit into the cups they are aiming for. So, maybe the targets need to be bigger - or maybe use a smaller hacky-sac instead and keep the cups. I think we may have a small bean-hacky sac laying around too. If you need it. I'd have to hunt.

Other ideas? I'll think for a bit.

Stephanie said...

What a cute idea! I'm excited to hear how it goes!

love.boxes said...

Don't keep that a secret.. you can get that calling if you mention it to the right people. :) When I was in a P. Presidency.. I loved volunteers... give the people what they want I say! :)

Trish and Matt said...

I'm dying to hear how it went. I'm not musically talented so I'm hoping this is a calling I never have. Our gal right now is INCREDIBLE. She makes learning music so much fun. I'm sure your lesson was great fun, too.

kthom said...

O.k. so I love your ideas...sorry it took me till after the fact to respond. How did it go? If you ever sub again let me know....I got a few things up my never endingly long chorister sleeve.

Anonymous said...

I love your ideas! I am looking for some Olympic games as well. One thing though... I did the I-pod thing with Christmas music at Christmas time and got in trouble for useing such a "material thing in Primary" I was asked never to do that again. I also did one with my cell phone once with the same response. Maybe I will get fired one day!!